My research and professional work is in the field of probability, statistics, machine learning, and applications of these methods to interesting practical problems that require such data analysis and modelling. I'm especially interested in Markov and other stochastic processes, Monte Carlo methods, Bayesian statistics, and the use of quantitative methods in sports (player evaluation, simulation, statistical analysis, forecasting).
Students who share similar interests are always welcome.
- Artificial intelligence and inteligent systems, Research Programme, P2-0209, 2009−2019
- Advancement of computationally intensive methods for efficient modern general-purpose statistical analysis and inference, Basic Research and Application Project, L1-7542, 2016−2019
- Machine Learning of Imbalanced Data, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-CZ/10-11-008, 2010−2011
- Integration of data mining and high-performance computer modeling for coronary artery disease, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-SR/10-11-020, 2010−2011
- Electricity load forecasting supported by prediction explanation and prediction reliability estimates, Bilateral Collaboration Project, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-PT/10-11-007, 2010−2011
- ŠTRUMBELJ, Erik. A comment on the bias of probabilities derived from betting odds and their use in measuring outcome uncertainty. Journal of sports economics, ISSN 1527-0025. [Print ed.], 2014, vol. , no. , str. 1-15.
- ŠTRUMBELJ, Erik, VRAČAR, Petar. Simulating a basketball match with a homogeneous Markov model and forecasting the outcome. International Journal of Forecasting, ISSN 0169-2070. [Print ed.], 2012, vol. 28, no. 2, str. 532-542.
- ŠTRUMBELJ, Erik, KONONENKO, Igor. An efficient explanation of individual classifications using game theory. Journal of machine learning research, ISSN 1532-4435. [Print ed.], Jan. 2010, vol. 11, no. , str. 1-18.
- ŠTRUMBELJ, Erik, ROBNIK ŠIKONJA, Marko. Online bookmakers' odds as forecasts : the case of European soccer leagues. International Journal of Forecasting, ISSN 0169-2070. [Print ed.], 2010, vol. 26, no. 3, str. 482-488.