I research machine learning, data mining, with emphasis on data visualization, and I know some statistics. I spend most of my time programming an open-source component-based system for machine learning and data mining Orange. I was also involved in development of an inteligent assistant for discovery of genetic networks from mutant data GenePath.
I also teach courses in programming and in didactics of computer science. My wife and I translated the material from CS Unplugged to Slovenian, I teach Scratch in primary schools, I'm guilty that summer schools at the faculty have been extended to primary school children, I am a member of program committee of the Bebras competition, I am quite involved in the organization of Code Week and give professional development courses to teachers.
I studied computer science at the Faculty of Computer and Information Science in Ljubljana, where I received BSc degree in 1996, MSc in 1999 and PhD in 2002, all under mentorship of prof. Dr. Bratko and co-mentorship of prof. Dr. Blaz Zupan. The area of the dissertation was artificial inteligence, in particular function decomposition, a method for data-based constructive induction without a predefined set of operators.
- Teacher of the year in years 2008 - 2014
- State award for achievements in higher education (Slovenian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, 2014)
- Award for current research work (Slovenian Information Society, 2014)
- Artificial intelligence and inteligent systems, Research Programme, P2-0209, 2009−2019
- Data Fusion in Systems Biology of a Social Amoeba Dictyostelium, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-US/15-16-013, 2015−2016
- Overcoming the curse of dimensionality with the use of background knowledge, Basic Research and Application Project, J2-5480, 2013−2016
- Advanced Analytics for Extremely Large European Databases, European Project (Framework Programmes), 318633, 2012−2015
- CODE Q, Structural Funds Project, 2014−2015
- Computational approaches for identification of bacterial resistance pathways in Dictyostelium, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-US/13-14-016, 2013−2014
- Evaluation of neuro-muscular trunk stabilization functions and development of exercise programs for lower back pain prevention, Basic Research and Application Project, 2011−2014
- Optimal shoe fit prediction for web shopping, Industry-Funded Project, 2009−2009