I started working at the Laboratory of artificial inteligence
after graduating in 1996. I teach several courses at the Faculty of
Computer and Information Science, while my main occupation is research,
namely various data mining methods. My venture point is machine
learning, but lately I am especially interested in visualization as a mean of clearly conveying information to the user or
data miner. I apply my research mostly in the fields of medicine and
I spend most of my time programming an open-source component-based system for machine learning and data mining Orange. I was also involved in theoretical development of an inteligent assistant for discovery of genetic networks from mutant data GenePath.
I studied computer science at the Faculty of Computer and
Information Science in Ljubljana, where I received BSc degree in 1996,
MSc in 1999 and PhD in 2002, all under mentorship of prof. Dr. Bratko
and co-mentorship of prof. Dr. Blaz Zupan. The area of the dissertation
was artificial inteligence, in particular function decomposition, a
method for data-based constructive induction without a predefined set
- Overcoming the curse of dimensionality with the use of background knowledge, Basic Research and Application Project, J2-5480, 2013−2016
- Advanced Analytics for Extremely Large European Databases, European Project (Framework Programmes), 318633, 2012−2015
- Computational approaches for identification of bacterial resistance pathways in Dictyostelium, Bilateral Collaboration Project, BI-US/13-14-016, 2013−2014
- Artificial intelligence and inteligent systems, Research Programme, P2-0209, 2009−2014
- Evaluation of neuro-muscular trunk stabilization functions and development of exercise programs for lower back pain prevention, Basic Research and Application Project, 2011−2014
- Optimal shoe fit prediction for web shopping, Industry-Funded Project, 2009−2009
- Demšar, J. Statistical comparisons of classifiers over multiple data sets. Journal of Machine Learning Research. vol. 7, 1-30, 2006.
- Van Driessche N, Demsar J, Booth EO, Hill P, Juvan P, Zupan B, Kuspa A and Shaulsky G. Epistasis analysis with global transcriptional phenotypes. Nature Genetics 37(5): 471-477, 2005.
- Curk T, Demsar J, Xu Q, Leban G, Petrovic U, Bratko I, Shaulsky G, and Zupan B. Microarray data mining with visual programming. Bioinformatics 21(3): 396-398, 2005.
- Juvan P, Demsar J, Shaulsky G, Zupan B. GenePath: From Mutations to Genetic Networks and Back. Nucleic Acids Research 33: W749-W752, 2005.
- Zupan B, Demsar J, Bratko I, Juvan P, Halter JA, Kuspa A, Shaulsky G: GenePath: a system for automated construction of genetic networks from mutant data, Bioinformatics 19(3): 383-389, 2003.
- Mramor M, Leban G, Demsar J, Zupan B: Conquering the Curse of
Dimensionality in Gene Expression Cancer Diagnosis:
Tough Problem, Simple Models, In: Proc. of Artificial Intelligence in
Medicine (AIM-2005), Aberdeen, UK, 2005.