Call for Applications for PhD Student-Assistant position in the 2016/2017 academic year
Faculty of Computer and Information Science of the University of Ljubljana (FRI) would like to inform everyone who wishes to apply for a doctoral programme Computer and Information Science in the 2016/2017 academic year that the call for applications is now open for three PhD Student-Assistant positions. The call for applications includes:
- Tuition fees for PhD study (3.450 € per academic year);
- A monthly salary of between 800 € and 1000 € net, depending on the candidate's performance.
The call for applications provides funding for up to 4 years (3 years of study and an additional year).
The subject of the call for applications: Three (3) PhD Student-Assistant positions.
In addition to regular coursework required for the doctoral study programme, the obligations of PhD Students-Assistants also include 30 hours per week of participation in the supervisor’s research lab as well as drafting and correcting coursework and exams, and consulting the students for 10 hours per week.
By carrying out these obligations, PhD Students-Assistants will cover the cost of their tuition fees (3.450 € per academic year) and receive a monthly salary, which will depend on their academic performance.
For students enrolling in Year 1, the monthly salary will depend on the GPA from their last level of studies (for Slovenian students the pre-reform or 2nd cycle master's studies, for foreign students the GPA is calculated using the ECTS rating scale for conversion), and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students with an average grade above 9,5;
- 900 € net for students with an average grade between 9 and 9,5;
- 800 € net for students with an average grade under 9.
For students enrolling in Year 2, the monthly salary will depend on their completed requirements in Year 1 of doctoral studies, and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9,5 and completed all study requirements (60 ECTS);
- 900 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9 and completed study requirements worth 50 ECTS or more;
- 800 € net for all other students who have completed the requirements to progress into Year 2.
For students enrolling in Year 3, the monthly salary will depend on their completed requirements from previous years of doctoral studies, and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9,5 and completed all study requirements (120 ECTS in total), have an approved doctoral dissertation topic and have submitted an article for publication in a scientific journal;
- 900 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9, have completed all requirements (120 ECTS in total) and have an approved dissertation topic;
- 800 € net for all other students who have completed the obligations to progress into Year 3.
The monthly salary for the additional year, Year 4, is the following:
- For the additional Year 4, the salary is the same as for Year 3, provided that the student has regularly progressed through all three years of study;
- For students who repeat a year (they can either enrol in an additional year of study or repeat a year, so that the total length of study does not exceed four years), the salary is 800 € net;
- For students who complete their doctoral studies in three years (they receive they PhD before the end of Year 4), the Faculty will give them a salary of 1000 € net in Year 4, with the possibility to conduct three months of research work abroad at a top foreign institution.
FRI wishes to acquire and maintain good collaborators who already have the potential to be good assistant, associate and full professors. FRI could employ some of the PhD Students-Assistants in Year 4 or those who complete their PhD as Assistants for the period of one or two years. The selection of candidates will be based on the assessment of their research work and potential, their teaching work, their participation at foreign institutions and with foreign researchers, and their enthusiasm for promoting computer science and other activities, relevant to the development of the Faculty. FRI will also enable the selected Assistants a longer leave of absence for further training abroad and preparation for the title of Assistant Professor.
- The call is open for candidates of Slovenian nationality or foreign students who are applying for the Computer and Information Science doctoral programme at the Faculty of Computer and Information Science in the 2016/2017 academic year, and who fulfil all enrolment requirements as stated in the call for applications.
- The application can also be submitted by candidates who do not meet all enrolment requirements at the time of applying. They should enclose a statement declaring that they will complete these requirements before the actual enrolment, which is 20 September 2016.
Deadline for applications is 3 June 2016. Candidates could be invited for an interview (conducted in person or via videoconference) within 14 days after the process of receiving applications is completed. They will be notified of the decision within 7 days after the interview or no later than 21 days after the process of receiving applications is completed.
Selected candidates will begin work on 1 October 2016.
The selected candidates will sign a one-year contract, which will be extended by up to three years (four years altogether), if the candidate successfully progresses into the next year of study and receives a positive evaluation of his/her work by the supervisor. PhD Students-Assistants are expected to complete their doctoral studies in four years.
How to apply:
To apply, fill in the online application form and send it by registered post, together with the application for enrolment and its enclosures, to the following address:
Univerza v Ljubljani
Fakulteta za računalništvo in informatiko
Večna pot 113
Application documents can also be submitted in person at the reception desk of the Dean’s Office.
Additionally to the application for the PhD Student-Assistant position please enclose the application for enrolment in the doctoral study programme in Computer and Information Science at the Faculty of Computer and Information Science and the following documents:
- A structured biography (personal details, work experience, education and training, language skills, awards and recognitions, cooperation at project and research work; a bibliography of articles published in journals or at conferences);
- A certified copy of your diploma and the diploma supplements, or a certificate issued by a higher education institution (diploma supplements are not required for FRI graduates), if applicable;
- A GPA certificate of exams and tutorials, if you have not already enclosed it in the diploma supplement (diploma supplements are not required for FRI graduates);
- A cover letter;
- Two reference letters (from supervisors at university or work/traineeships, or undergraduate studies professors).
The candidate enrols to the doctoral study programme via the eVŠ online portal.
For any additional information about the call for applications or doctoral studies at the Faculty of Computer and Information Science, please direct your enquires to email@example.com.